What’s on for families in Chester this weekend
Obviously the big event this weekend is Mother’s Day this Sunday – see below for a list of local attractions offering free entry for mums. Plus we’ve got this weekend’s cheap cinema listings and more.
Saturday 25th March
**FREE! KiC’s children attended The Firs School’s annual Easter Extravaganza a couple of years ago and had a great time – you’ll need to be quick though, as places are limited and must be prebooked. This year’s theme is ‘Animal Antics’ and will include the Tropical Roadshow, where children will be able to learn about and get hands on with exotic animals such as snakes, tarantulas and lizards; plus many other fun and exciting activities throughout the morning. Parents and carers can either leave their childrne or enjoy complimentary tea and coffee in the school cafe with free wifi and newspapers. The Firs School is at 45 Newton Lane, Chester CH2 2HJ. The event is from 10 am to 12.30 pm and is for children aged 3-9 years old – click here to book.
Solve any last minute Mother’s Day panics and keep the kids entertained for a bit – it’s win-win. Head over to the Children’s Craft Club at the Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery in Saughall, where £5 buys breakfast, two hours of play, and a chance to decorate a mug for mum and fill it with goodies (and wrap it too – does this get any better?!). Stonehouse Carvery & Pizza is at Parkgate road, Saughall, CH1 6JS and the craft club is from 10 am to 12 noon. Click here for details.
Alternatively, make your way over to Burleydam Garden Centre where kids can paint a pot and plant a primrose in it for a lovely handmade gift. Sessions cost £5 and booking is essential – call 0151 339 3195. Burleydam is at Chester Road, Little Sutton CH66 1QW and sessions take place at 10 am to 12 noon and 1 to 4 pm. Click here for details.
If you’re feeling energetic, the Thorntons Easter Bunny Run at Blakemere Village is a 3 or 5 km fun run (or stroll!) in aid of the NeuroMuscular Centre. All runners get a goody bag, and there are also 100 paper eggs along the route which you can collect and cash in for the genuine chocolate versions. Entry is £7.50 for adults and £5 for children under 16 (under 5s go free) and there’s no minimum sponsorship – the entry fee includes a pair of bunny ears, and fancy dress is encouraged. Blakemere Village is at Sandiway, Northwich, CW8 2EB and the event is on from 11.15 am, with the race itself starting at noon. All welcome – click here for details.
If you love a bargain, you’ll love NCT Chester’s Nearly New sale, which has a huge array of good quality used goods including toys and games, books, prams, nursery equipment, clothing from 0 to 10 plus maternity clothes, and lots more. Entrance is just £1 per adult, and all funds go to funding the work of NCT’s projects for parents nationally and local events too. The sale is at The Catholic High School, Old Wrexham Road, Chester CH4 7HS from 12 to 2 pm – click here for details.
Get into the swing of Easter with an Easter Egg Trail around Barrow village hosted by Barrow Babes & Tots – Kids in Chester had a great time at this event last year. Refreshments will be for sale at the finish, and last year there were activities including crafts for the kids and a raffle too; Barrow also has a playground with a large field in case you haven’t let off enough steam on the trail itself. The Trail is on from 2 to 4 pm, starts at the Village Hall and costs £2 per entry.
Pick up a gorgeous handmade and local Mother’s Day gift at the craft fair at St Luke’s Church in Huntington. St Luke’s is at Chester Road, Huntington, CH3 6BT and the fair is on from 2 to 4 pm – click here for details.
For something completely different, wow your junior archaeologists with a Mini Dig at Greenfield Valley Museum Heritage Park, where kids can dig up relics and artefacts and compare their treasures to the real thing. Greenfield Valley Museum Heritage Park is at Greenfield Road, Greenfield, Holywell CH8 7GH and there are sessions at 2 pm to 2.30 pm, 2.30 pm to 3 pm, 3 pm to 3.30 pm – click here for details.
Finish off your day with an Easter Quiz for all ages at Tarvin Community Centre, where there’s also a raffle, snacks and a licensed bar. Tarvin Community Centre is at Meadow Close, Tarvin CH3 8LY and the quiz is on from 7.30 to 9 pm. Up to six people in a team, £3 per person – click here for details.
Sunday 26th March
Happy Mother’s Day, and may the clocks going forward not interfere with your well-deserved lie-in.
No doubt your children and other half will have an elaborate array of treats and festivities planned, but if you’re in need of inspiration, the following places have free entry for mums:
- The Crocky Trail – billed as muddy good fun in the English countryside, the Crocky Trail is the most fun you can have while sliding, rolling and balancing on a series of rides and obstacles which will have you constantly wondering what their insurance premiums must be like. KiC’s kids love it, and usually sleep well afterwards – and isn’t that what we really all want for Mother’s Day?
- Cotebrook Shire Horse Centre – for a rather more sedate day out, head to Cotebrook, where you can meet these gentle giants and their foals, as well as a range of other animals including both farm animals and rescued wild animals. With a cafe, gift shop and nature trail, it’s a lovely place to be when the sun’s shining.
- Ness Gardens – another lovely day out when the weather’s good, the botanical gardens at Ness have lots of space to stroll, chickens to meet, a small play area, a grass labyrinth and a cafe. On Sunday, there will also be a performance from Off Pitch, a fifty strong choir made up of singers from across the Wirral, and a Spring Plant Hunters’ Fair for all the green-fingered mums out there.
Or again for something completely different, head to Greenfield Valley Museum Heritage Park, where you can discover the mysterious animals that go bump in the night on their Nocturnal Creature Trail. Greenfield Valley Museum Heritage Park is at Greenfield Road, Greenfield, Holywell CH8 7GH and the trail is on from 10 am to 3 pm – click here for details.
This weekend’s cheap cinema screenings
Vue Cheshire Oaks
- Moana (PG) – Saturday at 9.45 am and Sunday at 10 am
- Ballerina (U) – Saturday at 10 am
- Monster Trucks (PG) – Saturday at 10.15 am and Sunday at 10 am
- Kung Fu Panda 3 (PG) – Saturday and Sunday at 10.10 am
- Moana (PG) – Saturday and Sunday at 10.15 am
- Trolls (U) – Saturday and Sunday at 10.30 am